Sunday, November 29, 2020

Sigourney Savages: Girl's Track: State Champions

 Adam Sellers dedication and hard work towards putting together all of the information he could find on Sigourney-Keota Football & displaying it on a facebook page thoroughly impressed me.  It was a real treat getting to learn new facts & stories as well as reliving ones I already knew.  The history of the football program was exciting, fun and informational.   


Anyone that knows me or even people that don't know me but have heard of me are well aware of my obsession (some would even call it a fixation) with wrestling.  I've researched and written about all of our state champions, state place-winners & finishes as a team at the state tournament over the years.  I'd love to know all of our state qualifiers as well as our district qualifiers and top three place-winners year in and year out at the South Iowa Cedar League (SICL) conference.   Today I did some more research on Sigourney Savage sports and came across a ton of information.  

Rather than post about all of it at once, I decided I would do it sport by sport.  This is only at the state level & it only involves state champions.  Like with wrestling, I'd love to find out more.  I'd love to find out as much as I can.  The history of Sigourney, in anything interest me.  However all I was able to find was State champions.  

Forgive me as I will interject a personal anecdote here and there.  (For my own records) 


SAVAGE GIRL'S TRACK

Team State Titles were won in 1990, 1991, 1992 & 2017.    

On an Individual Level....

Bridget Seip won the 1 mile State title in 1976 with a time of 5 minutes and Three seconds - My Dad raced Motorcross with Terry Seip back in the mid 70's through the early 1980's.   I remember my Dad talking about how good of an athlete Bridget was. 

In 1982 Terri DeWeese, Tami Bunting, Tammy Conrad and Twyla Green won a rely state title. 

In 1987 Sherry Conrad, Ginger Beasley, Heather Garrett & Stacey Garrett won a rely state title. - My Aunt Shirley dated Larry Garrett (Heather & Stacey's Dad) from I want to say 1993-2005? I could be wrong on those years.  Anyway they lived together & I referred to Larry as my Uncle for years. Want the truth? I still refer to Larry Garrett as my Uncle. He was very good to me growing up. Think a lot of him. Always have.  Anyway, I can remember him showing me all of Heather and Stacey's medals/pictures/accomplishments one day when I was over at there house. It was really cool. 

Sadie Wiley won State titles in the 200 Meters (I believe Hurdles?) in 1988, 1990 and 1991.  Speaking with her brother Jonathan Stichter, I think she took 2nd or 3rd in 1989.  Ran NCAA Division I track at Iowa, but I believe suffered quite a few injuries. 

In 1990 Heather Eiben, Brandy Page, Sadie Wiley & Rhonda Eiben won two separate Medley State titles.  

Also in 1990 a Relay State title was won by Nicole Hammes, Angie Billman, Jen Arduser & Heather Eiben) 

Rhonda Eiber won 100 meter state titles in 1991 & 1993.  She won both the 200 meter & 400 meter titles in 1992 & 1993. 

Katie Michel won Discuss State titles in 1991 and 1992.  (Believe her Dad was a state champ too) 

Heather Bombei won the 1992 800 meter State title - That fall I was selling something for Boy's Scouts.  I can't remember what.  We went around the neighborhood.  We stopped at the Bombei house.  While we were in the house talking to the mom & Dad, this girl came in breathing heavy as if she had just got done for a run.  I imagine that had to have been Heather.   

Autum Barthelman won State titles in 2017 & 2018 in the 100 Hurdles 

Summer Barthelman won the 400 hurdles in 2017 

Summer Barthelman, Autum Barthelman, Sloane Magil & Leah Carter won the Shuttle Hurdle relay in 2017 & 2018. 



To me knowledge this is all of the State champions Sigourney has had in Girl's Track.  If any errors or information to be added please let me know. If any names are misspelled, please let me know. This information will be corrected if incorrect.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment