Saturday, November 28, 2020

SICL (South Iowa Cedar League) An Incomplete History

 I competed in the South Iowa Cedar League (SICL). I competed as a wrestler & yet as much history as I know about many things, I know very little about the history of the conference I competed in.   What I set out to find today was as much information on SICL wrestling as I could. I'd love to know all of the team champions.  All of the top three place-winners year in & year out at each weight class.  I'd like to know when the first SICL wrestling tournament took place.  I'd love to know all of that. 

Not just wrestling either.  I'd like to know anything and everything I can find on SICL.  There's not much out there.  However I was able to find some stuff that I never knew.  Some stuff that shocked me. 

I found some records that indicate that SICL began in the 1935-1936 season but other records state that SICL began in the 1929-1930 season.  From what I have been able to gather & what I have been able to find, it began as a way for the boy's basketball teams of Belle Plaine, Brooklyn, Montezuma, Tama & Toledo to have games & an official champion.  

Brooklyn soon became BGM as we know it today. 

Believe it or not Cedar Falls joined in 1930-1931 but would only stay through the 1935-1936 season. 

Iowa Valley joined SICL in the 1936-1937 season. 

Sigourney joined in the 1951-1952 season. 

Then it remained those 7 teams up until 1961-1962 when both Tama & Toledo left the conference. (This may have been when South Tama High School was formed.) 

At the departure of Tama & Toledo, SICL gained Williamsburg.  Then shortly after that in the 1962-1963 season Keota, English Valleys & HLV joined. 

Tri-County would join in the 1986-1987 season.  

North Mahaska & Lynnville Sully would join in the 1996-1997 season.  

Williamsburg would leave after the 1999-2000 season. 

Colfax-Mingo would join in the 2015-2016 season. 

I believe team wise that is the entire history of SICL. 


I realize that there isn't much here but it's more than what I ever knew up until today. 






No comments:

Post a Comment