Sunday, October 27, 2019

The World Lost One of Its Best


Greg Comer is one of the best people I've ever known in my life.  If I had to make a list of my favorite people, Greg would be somewhere in the top five.  I admired him. I respected him. I loved him.  And I'll miss him till the day I die.

A man of many gifts and talents, Greg is the greatest story teller I've ever known.  I aspire within my own creative writing to share stories and I know a large portion of my love and passion for stories comes from learning from the best. 

Even more impressive was Greg's ability to make everyone he ever came in contact with feel better about themselves.  He had a magic with people.  He made you feel valued, important and loved.  Every time I was ever around the man he made me feel good about myself.  He was sincere, he was genuine and he was kind.   I can honestly say I think the greatest compliment I've ever received from another person is when they told me that I reminded them of my uncle Greg.

You know years ago, when I made the self discovery that I was not a Christian and I could no longer live as a Christian that was a very difficult time in my life.  I had a lot of friends and family turn their backs on me.  Treat me with animosity and hostility.  I can remember being scared to death to let Greg known.  In most cases in my life, I don't care what someone thinks about me.  But I always cared what Greg thought.  My admiration and respect for him was so high that while others opinions of me didn't mean much to me, his did.  When I told Greg I was an agnostic, he put his hand on my shoulder and said to me that I was a great kid before he knew that and I was a great kid after he found out.  The kindness, love and compassion he showed me during that time is something I'll forever cherish. 

A few years ago Greg and I went to the Olympic trials in Iowa City with his friend Willie. We had a very good time watching some great wrestling. Greg consistently entertained with his stories and good clean humor. In a lot of ways Greg reminded me of the late Groucho Marx.  He didn't have to use any cuss words or vulgarity. He could make you laugh just by being clever and witty. 

I have so many great memories of Greg.  So many.  So many more stories I could tell about him. 

He was a very special man.  People talk about how good of a friend he was. My aunt Brenda speaks of how loving and dedicated of a husband he was.  I think if there was an award given out for women picking out the perfect spouse for themselves, she'd be eligible for it.  I know my cousins Casey and Jake thought the world of their father too.   I hope by reading this you know what I thought of him as my Great Uncle.  Great is exactly what he was in every sense of the word. 

I love you Greg Comer.  My life is better because you were a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment