Sunday, March 30, 2014

Actors who seemed to vanish into thin air

I watch a good movie and I really enjoy watching an actor in it and I go to imdb.com to see what other movies that the actor has been in.  For the most part, their is a long list of films that he/she has been in.   However, there are times when I'll go to look them up and then discover that the film I saw them in is either the only film they've ever done, or one of the only films they've ever done.  Not only that, but when I go to research them on the internet, there is little to no information to be found on them.    It is as if they never existed outside of those one or two films.   Where they are and what happened to them remains a total mystery.  It is as if they vanished into thin air.


For years I wondered what ever happened to Robert McNaughton (pictured below)  who played Michael in "E.T."  Here was a guy who was in one of the most popular and recognized films ever made and the only other real credit he had to his resume was a relatively unknown film by the name of "I am the Cheese".   It wasn't until the re-release of  "E.T." in 2002 that his whereabouts were revealed.   McNaughton made so much money from E.T. that he was set for life and he decided to give up acting.   He lives in Arizona, where he raises his family and delivers mail more as a means for something to do than anything else. 
I suppose that's a possible explanation for other actors as well, but not everyone was in one of the top grossing films of all time.   Not everyone made enough money from that one or two films they were in to where they could be set for life like McNaughton was.   So then what happened to them?


Take Rand Kingsley (pictured above) for example.   Kingsley played the part of Hugo Snyder in the 1992 hit, "3 Ninjas".    Not only did he play the sinister bad guy convincingly, but compared to a lot of other late 80's and early 90's live action films for kids, his acting was head and shoulders over others playing similar parts.    It'd be one thing had he sucked like Eric Freeman in "Silent Night, Deadly Night" but his acting in "3 Ninjas" was actually very good.   Save an extremely small part in "The Gardener" a film no one has even heard of that he was in six years later,  "3 Ninjas" is the only film to his credit.      So what happened to him?  After some research on youtube.com and imdb.com  non-accredited resources have rumored that he married a woman from Japan, who was involved in Japanese films and he has been working in Japanese films himself ever since.   This is pure speculation and rumor.   Whether it is true or not remains a mystery.

Another actor I have wondered about for years and years is David Agresta (pictured below)


Agresta played the part of Sonny Grasso in the 1988 film, "Best of the Best" and while it was not a 5 star performance, it was still good enough to where he most likely should've found work again.  Unlike Kingsley however, there are no rumors as to what became of him.   His whereabouts remain a completely and utter mystery. 

You'd think that with today's technology and the resources we have to research that you could google about anyone, especially someone famous and find out at least some information on them and what happened to them.   However, in the case of Kingsley, Agresta and some other actors I'm sure I'll think of later,  you can't find jack squat.   It's like they literally vanished into thin air and what became of them may forever remain a mystery.

 




22 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find more information about Rand Kingsley forever. Not only was he really awesome in Three Ninjas, more importantly he was UNIQUE as hell. He had a really intriguing delivery and speech inflection.

    Take for instance the way he delivers the lines at 6:00 in the clip below.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyGuhsvwggY

    The way he says "there may be no one left to defend the honor"...with sort of a sarcastic, exaggerated drama...and then kind of switches to a sinister chuckle as he says "your beautiful daughter." His delivery is just really unique. Almost reminds me of Christopher Walken in a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to confirm any of my findings, but in research I've found out the following information simply talking to people about the actor. Again, none of it has been confirmed.

      What I've been told is the Kingsley married a Japanese film director, moved to Japan and has been working their ever since. That he has acted in and worked on various Japanese films over the past 25 years. Yet, even though I've had different sources tell me this information, I cannot find any information to verify or deny it.

      So the mystery is still out on Rand Kingsley.

      Delete
    2. With a little detective work, I figured out his real name, his current whereabouts, and a number of other details about him. TO respect his privacy I will refrain from discussing here - email me at adamkentisaac@gmail.com though for more information.

      Delete
  2. Google Books makes reference to a 1989 book about the Dodge family written by Caroline Latham and David Agresta. The passage states, "David Agresta is an actor who became a Dodge family aficionado".
    So it's possible that he turned to writing.
    Here's the link:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=KPLdAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA211&lpg=PA211&dq=david+agresta+actor&source=bl&ots=C9bg7WhLUu&sig=N7Z7M_WT-xabksaBW-rPsgHwPEE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR-d-QmYzXAhXFxYMKHaqnDnsQ6AEIYTAN#v=onepage&q=david%20agresta%20actor&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post and I do know the whereabouts of David Agresta... For the longest the best of the best was one of my favorite movies growing up... Being a kid I really didn't care or know who the actors were... I always thought they were real people... Ha ha ha... But any who... Me and my old partner were working one night and its not uncommon for us to use a quote from a movie in any situation... One night my partner was talking about something funny that I might do while I was drunk and I blurted out... NOOO!!! TOMMY NO!!! HE'S GONNA KILL HIM!!! Ha ha ha... After I said that he said, Best of the best huh... My uncle was in that movie... He played Sonny Grasso... I was like which one was he??? So needless to say we looked up the movie and sure enough it was as he said... David Agresta... He even has the last name as his uncle... Obviously... Ha ha ha... But unfortunately he had told me his uncle had passed away many years ago... He told me some great stories about his uncle though... So there you have it... ������David Agresta R.I.P.������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching the film currently. Been watching it since I was a kid. One of my favorite films. Did he mention how David Agresta passed?

      Delete
    2. I am still trying to confirm Rory Garcia's comment from above. I haven't been able to find any information regarding Agresta dying. However, I have found information to confirm that the David Agresta who co-wrote a book on real estate, is the same David Agresta from BEST OF THE BEST. According to what I have found (not saying what Rory Garcia is saying is not accurate, I just can't find information to confirm it) Agresta is alive, 66 years old and living in the Detroit, Michigan area.

      Delete
    3. Thanks a lot. That's very encouraging, considering Travis and Virgil already gone.

      Delete
    4. I've also been trying to find him because of his work on the Dodge family book. He seemed to have a lot of family archives and I'm really interested in learning more. I did find one possible mention of him passing in March 2015, if he's David Bryan Agresta. I'd love to have more info if anyone has it.

      Delete
    5. I have been going by my friend at work... David Agresta is in fact his uncle and yes he confirms that he is the same David Agresta in the movie best of the best and he did pass away... R.I.P.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your article couple of times because your views are on my own for the most part. It is great content for every reader. best celebrity instagram accounts

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Agresta was a friend of mine. I have been trying to find him. He was elusive. I understand that he has died but there is not an obituary online nor cause of death. It is very strange indeed. Should anyone know what happened to him could they please inform here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David was my neighbor at an apartment building near the ocean n Oceanside, California. He died peacefully in his sleep at home in 2013. He was overweight and had diabetes. I had moved from the building but another neighbor let me know. I remember him as someone who was always following the news, and he was active in the Wall St protests that were going on at the time, etc. He was a kind person and was always feeding stray cats. Rest in peace Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For more information you could ask his neighbors at the Seabird Apts on S. Coast Hwy in Oceanside (near the Buena Vista Lagoon on the border of Oceanside and Carlsbad, across from Angelo's. Some of the longtime neighbors are still there and knew him well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big amateur wrestling fan & attend the collegiate wrestling championships from time to time. There's a gentleman and his wife I used to run into from Carlsbad. He was the long time high school wrestling coach in the area. I haven't seen him in many years, but I wonder if he might know the area you are talking about. Worth a try.

      Delete
    2. Elle...

      Thank you so much for letting me know what happened to David. Last I saw him it was 1999 in Oceanside. He had gained a bit of weight but was in good form. He was an exceptional man. He was a nature lover. One of the kindest people I met. The fact that he died peacefully in his sleep is a solace.

      Delete
  9. Any news on David? Was he really in his late 30`s in Best of the Best, there`s like no way he looks like he`s in his late 20`s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dominic--

    He was in his mid thirties when he made the film. I met him shortly after in 1991. He was ruggedly handsome. He should have gone on to become a Movie Star.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to elementary School Junior high and High School with Dave in East Detroit Michigan He was one if my good friends Saw him last here in Michigan probably 1984

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently came across something that does indeed confirm that aggressive passed away at age 60 in 2013.

    I am curious though as to why he didn't further pursue a career in films. I'd like to know the story behind that, because the guy definitely had enough charisma and talent to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I knew David, and he was only 46, I did ask him why he wasn't pursuing his acting career. He just listened while his Uncle answered, "He's too old now." I had the impression that David lost steam, the film should have made him a Star--he was disappointed.

      Delete