Monday, July 27, 2020

Nine Questions With Alyssa Wolles

1. If you were president for a day what would you do and why? 
I would sit at a computer all day with two screens.  One screen would be of Facebook & the other of Twitter. I would read countless Facebook posts & Tweets of how horrendous & horrific of a human being I was & others of how wonderful & great I was.  I'd go from heartfelt & passionate post of how I could do no right & I was the absolute worst thing to ever happen to this country to other post every bit as passionate that I was the best thing that ever happened to this country.   None of it would be based on what I've actually done or said.  It'd all be based on what party I was affiliated with.  It'd make me glad that it was only for a day & I'd watch the seconds go by on the clock. 

2. Write about your dream job

Creative writing in an assortment of capacities.  I want to be a novelist, a screenplay writer & about everything else. I'd love to have professionally published books.  Have films that I've written.  Plays.  I'd like to be a part of a writing team for a television series.  I'd like to professionally blog (I sorta do now, but I'm talking something more than the $0.03 I make per week now).   I want to write. It's what I want to do for a living. It's who & what I want to be.  I do it all the time anyway. I'd like to make money at it & do it even MORE than what I do it now.  

3. Why xyz is the best place to live or visit
I don't know if I know this yet or not.  I've never lived anywhere other than Iowa.  Within Iowa, I can say that I enjoyed Des Moines a lot. I thought it was a good city.  I liked Sigourney & I liked Iowa City/Coralville too.   I hated Orange City.  Things about it I liked.  I liked the Bowling Alley & the Szechuan Inn.  I liked the Coffee Shop too.  I didn't go their often but the guy who ran it was pretty cool.  But the town makes me very uncomfortable & I'm always on edge whenever I visit.  I like it better than Carroll though, :).    As to Visit, I really haven't gone on too many vacations in my life.  I know someday I want to live in a warmer climate. 

4. Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years
Honestly I don't know anymore.  I wish I did, but I've been sucked dry & drained of my spirit one too  many times in the past 5 years.  It makes it hard to be positive & optimistic.   I mean I want to be.  I fight the good fight.  I do what I can to put the life back inside of myself.   I've been through so many heartaches, failures, tragedies and disappointments that I sometimes find myself in a rut of believing that's all their is to life.   I don't like being that way but I need a spark. I need something to help relight the fire that at one time burned hot enough to melt metal within me.  I consistently look for that spark. 

5. Write about your hero(s)
I have so many of them.  So many that I look up to & admire.  I don't even know where to start.  Anymore my heroes are those who despite every reason not to, continue the fight.  The ones that are given every reason in the world to give up & give in, but they refuse.  Those are my heroes.  I think now of a man I knew years ago in Iowa City named Charlie.  A black man that lived in a low rent apartment complex on Riverside Drive behind an empty parking lot where a Kum & Go used to sit.  You talk about a man that had no business being positive, but he was.  That man never gave up hope.  He always thought tomorrow had something better in store for him.  He worked at Hardees in Coralville.  His boss treated him like shit.  Would yell at him.  Call him names & swear at him.  I one day about said something to his boss but Charlie wouldn't allow it.  Instead he went up grabbed a strawberry shake & told me that it was on the house because it seemed to him my experience at Hardee's wasn't pleasant & he wanted it to be pleasant.   I talked to Charlie a lot about his life. One tragedy after another. Guy just could not catch a break to save his life. Charlie talked about his daughter & his grandson all the time.   How one day things were gonna be different & the three of them were gonna have things that he had dreamed of. 

That day never came.  Charlie died of a heart attack.  I found out when I ran into his daughter one day & told her I hadn't seen her dad in forever.   I sure hope my end is better than Charlie's.  I feel that he deserved a better end to it all.  I'm a mixture of sad, anger, confused & bitter as to why he didn't.  The last thing he ever said to me was that he hoped to live to see a day when his daughter & grandson were well off.  That was really the only true thing Charlie asked for.  He didn't get it. 

Yet he died optimistic & positive.  He never gave up.  He never gave in.   There's something admirable about that.  Charlie is one of my heroes.

6. Why wrestling is the best sport
I actually love all sports. Wrestling was simply the best sport for me.  I have a weird personality.  I'm different. Wrestling is the type of sport that embraces that type of personality.  It's a great mixture of both worlds as in individual & team.  Wrestling often only gets categorized as an individual sport, but it too is a team sport. You're often only as good as those who push you & work out with you.   I had some great coaches & great workout partners during my 12 years in the sport.  It taught me so man valuable life lessons.  It kept me from being a complete fatass & a complete wimp.  Without wrestling I'd probably be 300 lbs & I doubt I'd have an ounce of toughness within me.  It makes one relentless.

7. What would you do if you won the lottery
I'm gonna imagine this is the jackpot.  I'd buy an old van.  The largest I could find. Like a G Van.  I'd put a mattress in the back, grab Ashley & the dog, while having someone I loved & trusted to watch the cat & off I would take.  Give me two to four years.  I'd see all of this country.  I'd go from town to town.  I'd run on every track. Lift weights at every gym.  I'd go to theatres, baseball games, college wrestling matches.  Oh, I'd do it all. My life would be a different town every couple of days.  I'd shower at the gyms, only occasionally getting a hotel.   That's how I'd start it off.   Just completely disappear for about 3-4 years then come back with an assortment of photographs and stories.

8. How you deal with stress
Lifting weights, swimming, running, ect is a way that I deal with a lot of my stress.  I'm sorta thankful in a weird way that I deal with anxiety, stress & depression the way I do because it gives me an excuse to get in the gym.  It's why I have a decent sized set of arms on me & why I put up a decent amount of weight on my bench press & military press.  I also eat a lot when I'm stressed too.  I suppose that's why I have a gut that looks like it's pregnant with quadruplets.  I like to spend time with my dog & cat.  I also when I have money enjoy going & getting back massages.  I carry all of my stress in my back & a good long massage about 4 times per year helps out a lot.  I also love giving massages.  Ashley Bunting can attest to that & how good I am. 

9 Favorite book you ever read and why


THAT WAS THEN THIS IS NOW by S.E. Hinton  - It's my favorite because reading that book is what made me realize that being a writer is what I wanted to do.  That creative writing, creating characters & stories was my gift, my ability, my talent.  It's been twenty years & I haven't had much success, but I still believe that it is my calling in life.  That it is what I'm supposed to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment