Tuesday, December 16, 2014

You May Not Know Their Names, but You'll Know Their Faces.

 


Raynor Scheine


Veteran actor Raynor Scheine has had a career that has spanned the last 36 years, and he is still working.    Scheine almost always plays a character with a deep southern accent, that is either insane, an often corrupted and racist lawman or just an idiot.   I would love to see what the real Raynor Scheine is like, but I have yet to come across any interviews with the man.   He plays all of his characters so well, that it's hard to imagine what the real man is like.   Films you may have recognized him in are "Ghost Dad", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "My Cousin Vinny", "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective", "The War", "Gone Fishing" and most recently "Lincoln".   
 
Mark Holton

Mark Holton had a career that spanned from 1983 to 2008, that mostly involved B films with a few exceptions.   I thought when I was younger, especially with his exceptional portrayal of serial killer John Wayne Gacy in "Gacy" that Holton's career would take off and he'd be given the types of roles that had gone to the likes of other big men like John Goodman and John Candy.   I had originally taken Holton as a limited actor after having seen him in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", "Teenwolf" "A League of Their Own", "Leprechaun" and "Little Giants" but he really surprised me with how well he did in "Gacy".    I'm not sure where Holton has been for the last 7 years.   Perhaps he made enough money and spent enough time in Hollywood that he felt it time to leave.   It's a shame because I feel that he left at a time when he really had the potential to break through.
 
 
Patrick Kilpatrick


If you like action/adventure films full of good guys kicking ass against bad guys, then you most likely have seen Patrick Kilpatrick.   Kilpatrick's career has spanned for the last 30 years and to my knowledge he has never once played a protagonist in a film.  That's right, in three decades on the silver screen, Kilpatrick has continuously played the sleazy, mean and downright dirty villain.  If you want to cast someone who knows how to play the role of an antagonist, look no further than Kilpatrick.    Some of the films you may recognized Kilpatrick in are, "The Toxic Avenger", "Best of the Best II", "The Stand", "3 Ninjas Knuckle Up",  "Under Siege 2" and "Free Willy 3".     What makes a B actor a B actor are the actors that you usually see in sequels after the series has all but died and Kilpatrick is in plenty of those.   I've seen more than one movie in my life, where I'm watching the movie and when I see the "bad guy" come onto the screen,  I'm like, "I know that guy! He played the part of another bad guy in another movie I saw."  I finally decided to look the guy up and find out what his name was.
 
 
 
Tracey Walter


Tracey Walter may be the most well known face/unknown name in Hollywood.   He's been making movies for over four decades and while some of his parts are bigger than others,  I am almost positive that he has never had a leading role.   Nevertheless, you do recognize him don't you?   He's been in "Annie Hall", "Conan the Destroyer", "Batman", "Pacific Heights", "The Silence of the Lambs", "City Slickers", "Philadelphia", "Junior", "Matilda", "Wild America", "Kiss the Girls", "Man on the Moon", "Drowning Mona", "Erin Brockovich" and he had a reoccurring role on "Reno: 911".    He's literally been in about everything over the last 40 years.   If you have a massive movie collection like I do, I guarantee he is in at least one if not many films that you own.  
 
 
 

Bruce McGill




Out of all of the recognizable face, unrecognizable name actors the talented and gifted Bruce McGill is my favorite.   Playing the character Jack Dalton in my favorite television show, "MacGyver" I always looked up to McGill as the type of actor I thought that my talents and abilities may allow me to play.  He's not a leading man.  He's no Tom Hanks or Dustin Hoffman, but what he does do, he is exceptionally gifted at.  He was born to play the characters that he plays, and few can fit the role as well as he has.    Besides, "MacGyver", you my have also seen McGill in, "Wildcats", "My Cousin Vinny", "Cliffhanger", "A Perfect World", "Black Sheep" and "Shallow Hal".   He is the type of actor that has played in numerous television shows as well.  I keep thinking each time I see him on screen, it may be the last time I see him, and that he has moved on to doing other things in his life.  Then I'll suddenly catch him on a television show or film again. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
John C McKinley




I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking, "What!?!??  Everyone knows John C McKinley, that's Dr. Cox on 'Scrubs' and  the dude from 'Burn Notice' ".     Well you're right, as of today McKinley is a pretty recognizable face AND name.    However, before he landed a leading role on "Scrubs" were you much aware of his career?  Did you know that he spent 15 years in Hollywood doing various work as a third and fourth fiddle in films?   "Platoon", "Born on the Fourth of July", "Point Break", "Born to be Wild", "Seven", "Nixon", "Office Space", "The Animal", and "Identity" were all films that McKinley was in before his name became household thanks to the success of "Scrubs".












No comments:

Post a Comment