Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Stephen Stonebraker's Top 10 Favorite Female Actors


10. Catherine Hicks
 
In a way it's really a shame that Hicks is so well known for her role on "7th Heaven" because there is so much more to this vastly talented actor than the wholesome, Christian valued, family woman that she plays on the series.   Hicks is a vastly decorated actor that has the talent to play a variety of roles and has proven it in some lesser known films and made for television films.   As she proved in "Child's Play" in 1988, she has an ability to do horror as well.

9. Cher
 

This is a real rarity for me to add a singer on my favorite list of actors, as most of the time I feel that singers ought to stick to singing and stay out of acting.   In this particular case though,  I have to bow down and give credit where credit is do.   Even though Cher is much more known for her musical talents, I actually feel she is a better actress than she is a musical talent.    As good as she was in "Mask", "Mermaids", "Suspect" and especially "Moonstruck"  I'm surprised she wasn't offered more roles.   Unlike most musicians who try and make the transition from music to films,  she was quite natural in front of the camera and very realistic.   I'd like to see her in more films.   She's quite good.
 
8.  Molly Ringwald
 

Molly Ringwald is my Kevin Costner, on my list of Top 10 Male actors.   She doesn't have a wide arsenal of roles that she can play, but what she can play, no one can play better.    Unfortunately for Ringwald, her expertise is playing a teenage girl stuck somewhere between wanting to be popular and yet remain nice to everyone.  Not exactly a role she's going to win at age 46.    Nevertheless I absolutely adored her in "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty in Pink" and "The Breakfast Club".     She was also quite good in "Teaching Miss Tingle" and I'd have liked to have seen her in similar roles.   It seems that she's succumbed to less meaningful roles however as of late.  I'd like to see her rejuvenate her career but I'm not exactly sure what types of roles would suit her best at the moment.   Perhaps the mother of the type of girl she used to once play.  
 
7. Jennifer Jason Leigh
 

What makes me love Jennifer Jason Leigh is that she has such talent that she can make me love her, hate her, want to kiss her and want to slap her.   If her objective is to create a character that the audience can fall in love with, she can do just that.  If her objective is to create a character that the audience will absolutely loathe, she can do just that.   A lot of beautiful actresses are unable to play the role of a vicious antagonist because the audience cannot allow themselves to believe that a beautiful woman would be capable of such horrific atrocities.    Even though Jennifer Jason Leigh is phenomenally gorgeous, she is so good at what she does, that she can make her audience forget how beautiful she is, and truly despise her for the despicable acts that her character commits.   To me that is true talent and why I adore Jennifer Jason Leigh as one of my favorites.    "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "The Hitcher", "Backdraft" and "Buried Alive".  Jennifer Jason Leigh can play an absolute sweetheart that you want to wrap your arms around in a big warm hug and she can play the part of an all out evil bitch that makes you want cringe at the sight of her.   She's truly one of the best.
 
 
 
6.  Penelope Ann Miller
 

Pronounced, "Pen El Oh Pee" and not "Pen elope" as I thought when I was younger.   Penelope Ann Miller has been one of my favorite actresses since I was a little kid.   Her appeal to me?  As you've probably guessed it,  her diversity as an actress.  She can play a complete nerd, with no sexual appeal whatsoever and then turn around and portray a complete knockout.   Whether she's playing the part of a loser or a well renowned popular citizen, she's playing the role with complete believability.   "Kindergarten Cop", "The Adventures in Babysitting", "Big Top Pee Wee" and "Awakenings" she has the ability to play whatever character is put forth in front of her.
 
 
5. Lori Petty
 

A lot of people give Lori Petty a lot of crap because of some personal decisions that she has made in her life and some professional decisions that she has made such as "Tank Girl" and rightly so, but she's also been in a variety of films where she has done an outstanding job in her role.   I don't get why sometimes in Hollywood fans, directors and other actors seem to forgive others for personal and professional mistakes/wrong doings/mishaps but not others.   I'm not sure what Lori Petty did that is so bad, to where she can't get the type of work she is more than capable of.    "Point Break", "A League of Their Own" and "Free Willy" I thought that she was fantastic.   In the late 80's and early 90's she seemed to have a career that was going places.  It stopped, understandably, but as far as I'm concerned it should have started again.   Time's ticking away, but there is still plenty of it left to do just that.
 
4.  Kirstie Alley
 



Kirstie Alley is a phenomenally talented actress that has proved her capabilities in both television and in film.   She does seem to play many of her characters the same way, but in the way that she plays them, she does a very good job.  I really like the way she handled her weight gain and took it head on, rather than let it get the best of her.  Even though tabloids, the news and talk show host tried to bury her, she stayed alive and well and when she lost all her weight, she shoved it hard back into their face.  Whether she was on "Cheers" as Rebecca or she was in films such as "Look Who's Talking", "Look Who's Talking Too" and "It Takes Two" she has always stepped up to the plate and done a great job.  
 
3.  Lea Thompson
 


Lea Thompson has always been one of my favorite actresses, who I feel was a bit type casted throughout her career.   I saw her in two episodes of "Tales From the Crypt" and didn't realize her capabilities to do horror until I saw them.    I almost feel that taking the role in "Caroline in the City" may have been a bit of a mistake as I think it really hampered what could have been an illustrious movie career full of many more titles.   She was phenomenal in the "Back to the Future" films, "Dennis the Menace" and I'll go as far to say "Howard the Duck".    I'm a huge fan of Thompson's and hope to see her more in the future.
 
 
2. Roseanne Barr/Pentland/Arnold/Thomas
 

Every single fat and unattractive female actor that ever makes it in the world of film, owes at least a little something to Roseanne.   She was a pioneer that paved the way for extremely talented female actors who weren't blessed with good looks to have a legitimate shot at making it in Hollywood.   She is one of the funniest women to ever grace the television screen and she is also one of the best dramatic female actors to ever be on screen as well.    She may not always be the most pleasant person in the world and she may not always have popular opinions but she laid a foundation down for the unattractive community to be able to shine in front of the camera.   Some say that she was just practically playing herself on the television show "Roseanne".  I say that maybe, but she obviously did one Hell of a good job playing herself, because audiences resonated enough with it to make it a #1 rated show and have it last for 9 seasons. 
 
1. Dianne Wiest



My favorite female actor of all time is Dianne Wiest.   I love watching her on the screen and I never grow tired of her.  A very diverse female actor that has the ability to play a multitude of roles.   She can play genuine and sincere and then in her next role play flakey and sinister.    I realize that after a long and illustrious career that her time in films has worn thin and that truly saddens me because she is just so good at what she does.   "Footloose", "The Purple Rose of Cairo", "The Lost Boys", "Parenthood", "Edward Scissorhands", "The Birdcage" and "I Am Sam" are just a few examples of her immense load of work.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment