Saturday, March 27, 2021

Writing Exercise: Three & Three

 The point of this exercise is to take three books that I really enjoyed and explore why I enjoyed them through answering questions about them. 


Books that I really enjoyed 

A - THAT WAS THEN THIS IS NOW - S.E. Hinton 

A1 - What one element in the book gave you the most pleasure? 

The brutal honesty of the book and how it revealed the harsh truths and bitter realities of the world. As a 15 year old freshman in high school that was often sugarcoated by what I knew to be Disney fantastical crap, I appreciated someone who was willing to be raw and real with me.

A2 - Who was your favorite character in it, and why? 

Bryon. I appreciated that even though he was often in a world without values and morals, he never lost his personal integrity.  He wasn't afraid to question things and be honest with himself that in such an unsure world, he may not have all of the answers. 

A3  What elements of talent particularly distinguished this book? 

All of them. S.E. Hinton was able to hit all of them on the head.  All of the characters were real people.  I've read the book a total of three times in my life and each time I read it they all become living, breathing individuals to me.  There is so much insight, understanding and wisdom within the novel.  The craft, the dramatic skill. It is all there woven together impeccably.  

A4 - What question did this book ask and answer? 

Does doing the right thing ever have severe consequences?  

A5 - What impressed you most about this book? 

Before I read this book I looked at people, issues and subjects with a very narrow minded black and white perspective. After reading it, it changed the way I perceive the world. At that exact moment the world became gray to me. 

A6 - Could You Have Written this Book? 

Based on work ethic and passion? I think so, but I dare not insult the talents and abilities of Hinton. I hope to have the type of talent she has. I hope to be able to display it one day.  She's been a hero of mine for such a long time. I read THE OUTSIDERS (also by S.E. Hinton) and then upon suggestion a year later, I was encouraged to read this.  I think I could write this because I think what makes it so special is how vulnerable it is.  How open it is.  Hinton created a world with an exterior of toughness.  An impregnable outer layer.  Yet with an interior of vulnerability.  I think that's why it is still so special and revered to this day. 

B - A DAY NO PIGS WOULD DIE by Robert Newton Peck 

B1 - What element in the Book gave you the most pleasure? 

Again the brutal honesty that is displayed throughout the novel. How the harsh realities of the world were depicted  throughout the main character's journey. 

B2 - Who was your favorite character in it, and why? 

The narrator.  He connected with me on so many levels. I felt his joys, his sorrows, his pains. He wasn't alone when he lost Pinky. I was right there with him. 

B3 - What elements of talent particularly distinguished this book? 

Like THAT WAS THEN THIS IS NOW, all of them were hit on impeccably. 

B4 - What question did this book ask and answer? 

How do we as people keep intact our ability to be moral, empathetic and loving, while participating in the practice of killing, butchering and eating animals? 

B5 - What impressed you most about the book? 

I struggled with the issues of hunting and raising livestock for food for a long period of time in my life.  I wanted to show that I understood and respected these things, while at the same time showing that I respected the life of these animals and what they were sacrificing so that myself and others could eat.  I ate meat, but yet I hated (and I STILL hate) the apathetic, lackadaisical attitude of "it's just a pig man."  I didn't appreciate that attitude and I didn't want anyone to think that I had it.  This book helped me to develop the current attitude I still hold to this day.  I appreciate and respect both hunting and butchering of animals, but I never forget the respect I have for these animals. The appreciation and gratitude I have towards them for the service they provide.  This is why I think there is a huge difference between hunting and animal and outright killing it.  Reading this book helped me to for this opinion. 

B6 - Could You Have Written This Book? 

I would have liked to have.  I'm going to be thirty-six in less than two months. I've been at this business of trying to make it as a writer since I was 18.  I've dreamed of getting inside people's heads. Making them laugh, making them cry. Making them feel after putting my book down that I made a real impact on their life. Even if it was nothing more than to enjoy my book for a few moments.  Let them escape the world within the pages of my novel.  Obviously I do believe I'm capable of such things. That may be a sign of lunacy.  I'm nearly double the age I was when I started. 

C - PET SEMATARY by Stephen King 

C1 - What one element in the book gave you the most pleasure? 

In a weird, twisted, messed up sort of why it was satisfying to see how unfair the world can sometimes be.  Everyone in this story may have made poor decisions, but they made those decisions with the best of intentions.  I almost hate to admit this but the scene where Louis sends Gage back to the grave was the most satisfying to me.  It grabbed me in a way that I didn't realize I could be grabbed. It hit me in a way that I didn't realize I could be hit.  He wanted so bad for his son to be back. He would do anything to bring him back. Even something that he knew deep down inside could have dire consequences. Then upon the devastation that Gage brought back upon his return, Louis knew that he had no choice other than to send him back to the grave.  There's no wonder that it drove him crazy.  There's no way a parent could go through such a thing and not end up insane 

C2 - Who was your favorite character, and why? 

It was hard not to like Jed. I had a hard time understanding why he would be so foolish, with all of the history and knowledge he had of the Micmac burial ground, but I know he meant no harm.  

C3 - What elements of talent particularly distinguished this book? 

Again all of them. King is a mastermind at the process. That's probably why the man is worth half a billion dollars and why his books average sales of $40 million per year.  I dream of making 0.18% of that.  

C4 - What question did this book ask and answer? 

Should well enough be left alone? 

C5 - What impressed you most about this book? 

When we read books or watch films we often do so from an outsiders perspective. Why say to ourselves, "What an idiot!!!" and "Why would he do that!?!?!?"  We are critics and judgers of the choices that characters make throughout the story.  We often have an inability or a refusal to place ourselves in their position.  This book forces you to put yourself in the position of Louis Creed. You have no choice but to fall in love with Gage and want him back as much as Louis does.  You know it's wrong to dig up his body. You know it's wrong to place him at the Micmac burial ground.  You know that there is nothing good that can become of it. Yet you also know that if you were in Louis's position, you'd probably end up doing the same thing he did. Even though there isn't, you long for and yearn for a positive result as much as he does.  King's ability to do that to you is like a powerful hypnosis. It's pure magic. 

C6 - Could You Have Written this Book? 

Again, I'd like to think I have this ability. That I have this talent. That through continued practice, hard work and perseverance that I'll have my opportunity to prove it. I also know that it involves a tremendous amount of luck and circumstance. That only so much of it is in my hands.  I HAVE to do my part, but my part isn't the only part in this process. King will go down as one of the greatest of all time. A writer that has been cherished for fifty years now.  A writer that will be cherished fifty years after he's gone.  I can only dream of his fame and of his money.  Frankly it isn't about that to me.  Would I like to have millions?  Yes.  Would I love to fly all over the country, consistently giving talks, seminars and answering questions while signing autographs and taking pictures with fans?  YES!  Yet, to know that I even had a small audience out there. That people are enjoying my books. Getting something out of them. Falling in love with characters that I create. Worlds that I imagined.  That's the real gold in writing. That's the end of the rainbow for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment