Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Greatest Wrestlers From Sigourney That Never Qualified For State

The wrestling program at Sigourney High School has been around for 53 years and in the last half of a century there have been many great wrestlers that have gone through the program. Some of them we know, because they were able to accomplish the credentials that place their name in the history books. Others, we don't know because of whatever the reason, they were unable to achieve those goals. I don't know who all of these wrestlers are. Matter of fact I don't know many of them at all, but I would like to know who they are.

Therefore I am putting together a list of the best wrestlers that wrestled for Sigourney High School that did not qualify for the state wrestling tournament.

Here is what I have thus far.....


DENNIS MCLAUGHLIN
I don't know a lot about McLaughlin's career, but I have heard from many that he was an extremely tough, hardnosed wrestler that ended up being a victim of circumstance at the District tournament his senior season. According to what I've been told he took 3rd place, including losing a heartbreaking hard fought true 2nd place match. His mother worked at the school, while I was attending high school and she caught me in the hall the Monday after the sectional tournament when I finished one match away from qualifying for Districts my senior year.  She asked me if I'd find her at lunch and speak with her for a moment. I did and even though I tried to hide it as best as I could, she knew it was killing me inside that I hadn't won my semi-final match. She told me about her son Dennis and how she went into the bathroom after his true 2nd place match and bawled her eyes out because she had watched him get up every morning for four years straight to run, lift weights, work on technique because he wanted to qualify for state. She said that every morning when she'd come to the school and see me running the halls, or in the weight room or drilling moves, it reminded her of Dennis. I think Dennis was actually a much better wrestler than me though. I've heard from others that he was very good.


SHAWN MONROE
Monroe wrestled for Sigourney from 1996 to 1999.  A career 103 lbs wrestler, Shawn had a numerous amount of victories over some very talented wrestlers. He wrestled four time State place winner, two time state champion, Dominic Moyer of Oskaloosa to a 6-4 decision that included a beautiful takedown in the second period to tie the match at 4-4.  After riding Moyer tough for a while in the third period, he was reversed to go down 6-4.  Moyer put in the legs and held on for the victory.  A two time sectional champion, Monroe had the unfortunate luck of drawing the eventual state champion from Columbus Junction who hadn't won by anything less than a major decision all season.  In the wrestleback Monroe kept eventual three time state place winner and state champion Brad Stockton of Williamsburg from qualifying by defeating him something like 6-3. (Stockton would also become a four time NAIA All American placing 4th-2nd-4th-1st).  In the true 2nd place match, Monroe lost a 1 or 2 point match to a kid from Belle Plaine who ended up placing 4th at the state tournament.  Without a doubt, Shawn Monroe is one of the best Sigourney Savage wrestlers who did not qualify for state.

JOHN GRAHAM
Not only my opinion, but also the opinion of "The Predicament" in 2000, when they named Graham one of the best wrestlers to not qualify for the state tournament.  Graham, who wrestled for Sigourney from 1997 to 2000 had over 130 wins in his career. He also was a four time SICL place winner, and never placed lower than third in nearly every tournament he entered. I can't tell you all of his quality wins, but he has a lot. Victories over multiple state qualifiers, state place winners and I think maybe even a state champion or two.

TYLER RASH
Rash wrestled for Sigourney from 2001 to 2004.  During that time he racked up 88 career wins and multiple victories over various state qualifiers. His sophomore year he split matches with North Mahaska's Matt White, who would beat him in the true 2nd place match at Districts to qualify for state that year.  His senior year, history would repeat itself as he lost a tough semi-final match to Moravia's Brad Close (who he had beaten 3-1 sudden victory earlier that year) and then turned around and lost another heartbreaker to Columbus Junction's Billy Domingues in the true 2nd place match. That year Rash defeated WACO's Clay Wells, who was ranked #10 at the beginning of the year twice, including once by fall.  A two time SICL champion, who had defeated eventual District Champion Wade Kimm twice during the season, including once two weeks before, Rash is one of the best to never qualify for the state tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment